What version of EA do I need?
EaForms has been tested with EA V10, V11 and V12. And although it will work with some earlier builds of EA we recommend v10 build 1009 or above, since we use some EA UI features that do not exist in earlier releases (show and hide AddIn windows).
We have tested eaForms in Windows 10, Windows 7 and Windows XP SP3.
How is eaForms supplied?
eaForms is supplied as a single windows installer (.msi) for all versions. Access to different versions is managed via licence keys,
Where can I purchase an eaForms licence?
eaForms CE is free to download from this site - Go to the eaForms(TM) Community Edition page and look for the download link
Will eaForms work with connectors as well as elements and packages?
Yes - you can design connector forms as well using the eaForms designer tools.
What are eaForms controls?
To avoid confusion with other EA terms we have adopted the windows terminology to describe the items that are placed on the eaForm by the designer.
What eaForms controls are available?
Current list of controls include:
- Text box
- Rich text box
- List views
- Related element
In addition, eaForms includes some ready built controls (gadgets) such as list views which can spawn sub-forms to gain access to edit specific data items.
What are eaForms gadgets?
We have used the term gadget to describe a compound control can be included on your eaForms, for example controls that list and provides access to sub- or related-elements. As standard we provide a few gadgets that can enhance the use of forms.
What standard gadgets are supplied?
We provide list view gadgets:
- lvActors - will list actor items linked to the current element. The user can access an edit actor form by double-clicking the line item.
- lvPreConditions - lists the Pre-Conditions for Use Case. The user can access an edit Pre-Condition form by double-clicking the line item.
- lvPostConditions - lists the Post-Conditions for Use Case. The user can access an edit Post-Condition form by double-clicking the line item.
- lvTaggedValues - lists the Tagged Values associated with the element. The user can access an edit Tagged Value form by double-clicking the line item.
- lvLinks - lists the items to which the element is linked. The user can access an edit item form by double-clicking the line item - which allows the name and/or notes to be modified.
- lvAttributes - displays the attributes of the element and provides access to an edit attributes sub-form
- lvOperations - displays the operations of the element and provides access to an edit operations sub-form
Can I write my own gadgets?
Not at the moment - if you have a specific requirement please contact us - it may be that we can enhance eaForms to meet your (and others) needs.
I don't see the eaForms design library window?
The eaForms design library is an EA Add-In window. Prior to EA v10 build 1009 the user needed to manually select "Extensions" and check Add-in windows before the window is displayed. We use EA functions to show these windows, however it can sometimes happen that the Window may be closed - in which case the designer should check the Add-in windows option.
How to I ensure my users have the correct settings?
eaForms optionally supports a configuration model that supports both a first-time run initialisation and subsequent check for updates:
- The once-off initial run configuration file can be used to set user settings as well copy files - also within this the name of the configuration file (local or on a server) to be checked at each startup
- Each run, if set a configuration file will be read and a check made for any updates (can be the same name/location as the initial configuration file)
How do I deploy eaForms to run-time only users.
There are 2 steps:
Create the run time form definitions
To be able to provide eaForms to others you need to have the Corporate edition of eaForms.
From the eaForms design library window
- set the status for the required eaForms as active (you can select the eaForm line and use the "Toggle Status" button as required
- select Export and specify the output file name when prompted.
Note that only eaForms marked as active are exported.
In addition, you will need to generate a password for your users.
To generate this password go to the Licence Information Screen (Extension | eaForms | Licence information). Select the "Key Management" tab and press the "Generate Run Time Password" button. Then using the "copy ... to clipboard" button - paste the password into an email or other suitable document to pass to your users together with the eaForms library file.
Note: the password you provide is unique to you and includes your details so that the user knows who and where the eaForm was sourced.
Your licence only allows you to distribute eaForms within your organisation - you must not produce sell or provide in any way distribute the eaForms produce to anybody outside of your organisation in run-time form.
Deploy the run time form definition file
The run time form definitions file must be placed in a location that the user has read access. This location can be set in user settings, or if using a configuration file specified there.
For more information see our guide Deploying Form Definitions to RunTime Users (PDF file opens in new window)
How do I load an eaForms library?
- configure your eaForms library under settings as well as configure to auto load of the eaForms on load - use the "Set Run Time Form Definitions Filename"
- load a specific file - this is achieved by opening the "Extensions | eaForms | List eaForms definitions" and press the "Set RT Form Definition" button. You will be prompted to specify a file name after which you can press "Load Form Definitions". The eaForms that are successful loaded will be listed.
Note: when loading via his mechanism the Run-time definitions file name under settings is updated. So that if auto load is enabled with the new file for the next load.
Where do I enter the eaForms password that has been provided?
eaForms will prompt you for a password as needed the first time a specific eaForms file is loaded.
You can also add eaForms passwords you are given under the licence dialog.
I want to disable eaForms?
It may be that for some of your work you wish to disable eaForms. This can be done in several ways.
If you only want to suspend the intercepts for a session - go to settings and uncheck the "Enable Intercept" checkbox. The first time after unchecking this box you may be asked if you wish to "Enable eaForms" - cancel
If you want to disable for longer then you can go to the "Extensions | Manage Add-ins" and uncheck the "Load on Startup" box for the eaForms Add-In.